.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
'
'
'
'

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

WORLD CUP EXCLUSIVE By Matt Lawton

No doubt who's boss: John Terry had to back down


John Terry has contacted Sportsmail to apologise to Fabio Capello and his England team-mates in the wake of his astonishing press conference in Rustenburg on Sunday.

Speaking exclusively to this newspaper on Monday night, Terry said he was stung by accusations that he had undermined the manager by calling for him to make changes before it was too late at this World Cup. Capello yesterday described Terry’s outburst as a ‘big mistake’.

Terry told me: ‘I went into yesterday’s press conference with the intention of being honest. I was asked a question about Joe Cole and maybe I went too far. But it was never my intention to upset the manager or the players and if I did upset anyone, I apologise.

'I have told the manager he has my total support and I would like to stress that I don’t believe I have been a disruptive influence in the camp.

‘I would now like to put this episode behind me and concentrate on trying to win what is a massive game for England. All I was trying to do was to say how important it is to me to try to win the World Cup. I just hope people at least appreciate that I have taken the time to call you and have asked you to report what I have to say in response.’

This was a contrite and emotional Terry, completely at odds with the bullish performance on Sunday when he declared his intention to stage an Italia ’90-style coup at a scheduled team meeting with Capello. He called for a new team, new tactics and a fresh approach ahead of tomorrow night’s crucial clash with Slovenia.


He spoke of how Nicolas Anelka had been sent home for challenging France manager Raymond


Domenech and said: ‘Maybe a few of us will be sent home after this evening.’ He then said he would have his say whether Capello liked it or not. ‘If it upsets him then I’m on the verge of just saying, “So what, I’m here to win it for England”,’ he said.

But Terry was quickly informed he would have no such say at the meeting by senior members of Capello’s coaching staff before realising he did not have the backing of the players, either. After speaking privately to Terry yesterday, Capello declared that his former captain had made ‘a big mistake’.

Terry knew then that he had seriously misjudged the situation but he was further wounded by the coverage that reflected the mood of Capello and the players, in particular in this newspaper.

It prompted Terry to contact me and stress how hurt he was by the accusation that he has been a disruptive influence since arriving here and how keen he was to repair his battered image, having been stripped of the captaincy in February amid the Vanessa Perroncel affair and Sportsmail’s revelations about his private Wembley box.


Back in business: Terry returned to training with his England colleagues on Monday morning


During a conversation that lasted for more than half an hour, Terry remained perfectly calm, accepting he had made mistakes while also defending himself rather eloquently. He insisted he was not motivated by revenge for being stripped of the captaincy and said his only motivation was to succeed for England.

Capello not only revealed his disappointment with Terry but confirmed that his actions had ‘disappointed some players’.

‘I spoke with some players but only John Terry said this,’ said Capello. ‘No one speak with me about the problems. My door is open always and if you want to speak with me, you can speak with me.

‘Every time we have a meeting I ask the captain, problems? You want to say something? Never. I read yesterday that John Terry said this, and I don’t understand why he don’t speak with me every time.

‘I think he’s more disappointed some players because when you speak you have to speak privately, not with you (the media). This is the big mistake, this is a very big mistake. It is not a revolution, it is one mistake from one player. But I hope sometimes
from the big mistake comes a big performance.’

Judging by his mood yesterday, Terry has never been more determined to deliver such a performance against Slovenia on Wednesday night.


source: dailymail

0 Comments:

Post a Comment