.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
'
'
'
'

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

By Matt Barlow

Floored: Arsenal players show their concern as injured Cesc Fabregas goes down in a heap


Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas was in agony last night amid fears he had broken his right leg during the 2-2 draw with Barcelona in the Champions League.

The Arsenal captain, who had been a doubt for the first leg of the quarter final with severe bruising to his knee and leg, suffered the injury when he was fouled by Carles Puyol and awarded a penalty in the 85th minute.

Fabregas scored from the spot to claim a 2-2 draw and hobbled through the closing moments as Arsenal had already used their three substitutes.

But Fabregas admitted he feared the worst as he left Emirates Stadium on crutches.

The Spaniard could miss Arsenal's title run in and the World Cup finals in South Africa.

'I am not good," he said. 'We have to wait for tomorrow, but I hope I can wear the Arsenal shirt again this season.


Sorry sight: Cesc Fabregas hobbles off the pitch to receive treatment


'I fear the worst, which is that I have broken something. I do not think it is going to be good news, but still I hope there will be.

'When I took the penalty, I was quite strong, but after when I went to get the ball, I could not walk any more.

'It is the fibula. I think I put my leg between Puyol's when I was fouled, and kicked it.'

Fabregas added: 'Until the penalty, I was feeling quite good.

'It has been an amazing experience and I will remember it for the rest of my life.'


Spot on: Fabregas smashes his penalty past Barcelona keeper Victor Valdes


Arsenal also fear defender William Gallas, who went off in the first half, will miss the rest of the season after limping off with a calf problem.

The Spaniards had lived up to their billing as favourites following a blistering start and a second-half double from Zlatan Ibrahimovic looked to have all but killed off the tie.

However, Theo Walcott came off the bench to pull a goal back before Fabregas - who will miss the second leg at his old club after being booked - smashed in a late penalty after Puyol was sent off for fouling the midfielder in the box.


source: dailymail

0 Comments:

Post a Comment